Manhunt Ends With Arrests South Of Teague

Teddy Davenport

Time ran out for a Mart area man Monday afternoon near Teague after a dozen law enforcement agencies hot on his trail ended the manhunt after finding 44-year old Teddy Wayne Davenport hiding in a tree in a rough creek approximately two miles south of Teague, off FM 1451.

The hunt for Davenport began early Saturday morning after he allegedly sent two Texas Game Warden officers to the hospital following a car chase that began after the game wardens caught him burglarizing a house just outside the Mart city limits. Davenport allegedly rammed the state vehicle the game wardens were in, but both vehicles could be driven.

Davenport fled the scene, with the game wardens in pursuit, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials. During the chase, someone in the fleeing truck shined a bright light into the game warden?s eyes causing their vehicle to leave the roadway and strike a culvert. Both law enforcement officers were injured, with one requiring hospitalization.

Officers from multiple agencies began looking for Davenport Monday in Freestone County and apparently thought they had him located in Fairfield around noon but he had left the area before officers arrived. Shortly afterwards Davenport was located at a residence of some of his known associates and ran from the house as they arrived. A perimeter was set up to keep him from escaping the area and three helicopters, tracking dogs from the TDCJ Boyd Unit and officers on horseback searched the area until the dogs picked up his scent and led them to the tree in the creek bed where he was arrested at approximately 3:15 p.m. Davenport was transported to Limestone County jail following his arrest, which is where the charges against him were issued.

Three persons present at the residence where Davenport ran from were arrested at the scene and transported to Freestone County Jail. A large quantity of a substance believed to be methamphetamine was found in the residence. Charged with hindering apprehension of a fugitive and possession of methamphetamine, between 200 and 400 grams, were Michael Duane Daniel, 44, of Fairfield; William A. Davidson, III, 37, of Teague; and Tanja Marie Lee, 44, of Mexia.

Davenport is on felony probation for eluding police in a vehicle in Mart after a May incident in which he fled two Mart officers, according to reports. The officers in pursuit suffered minor injuries after their patrol car was involved in an accident during the chase. Davenport later turned himself in to the McLennan County Sheriff.

Involved in the manhunt Monday were Texas Game Wardens, U.S. Marshal?s Office, Mart Police, Deputy Sheriff?s from McLennan, Limestone and Freestone Counties, Texas Rangers, Department of Public Safety, TDCJ, Teague Police Department, and several Limestone and McLennan County Constables.

Executed 0 SQL queries