Fairfield Shooting Under Investigation

One man was shot and a woman was believed to have been shot following an altercation at a large party late Saturday night (early Sunday morning) off Hwy. 75 South in Fairfield.

According to Fairfield Assistant Chief of Police Bill Rogillio, a call came in at 1:26 a.m. Sunday morning concerning a large group of people with vehicles blocking driveways on Hwy. 75 South. As Fairfield Police officers arrived at the scene, a large group of people began running towards the police car saying that someone had been shot. At least three additional shots rang out in the early morning air as the Fairfield officers arrived, who in turn immediately called for back-up at the scene. Officers from Freestone County Sheriff?s Department, Department of Public Safety and Teague Police Department responded to the call.

A search of the area revealed one man found shot in the lower calf of his leg. The victim was identified as 21-year old Mario Rodriguez, Jr. of Fairfield. According to Rogillio, Rodriguez was taken by Air Evac helicopter to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco where he was listed in stable condition Sunday.

A second individual believed to have been shot, identified as 22-year old Derisha Scott of Fairfield, was taken by ambulance to ETMC Fairfield. Rogillio said she was possibly hit by a ricochet or flying debris but was not shot. She was treated and released from the hospital.

Come to find out, a landowner on South 75 was throwing a private party with the trouble beginning after a large group of people from Mexia came to the party, although details remain sketchy.

Witnesses gave a description of the vehicle that they believed left the scene with the gunman inside.

Rogillio said the description of the vehicle was sent out to area law enforcement agencies and a Department of Public Safety Trooper stopped a vehicle matching the description near Wal-Mart in Mexia. The three men in the vehicle were detained and interviewed as persons of interest in the shooting.

Rogillio added that no charges had been filed as of Monday afternoon but the charge would be for Aggravated Assault by a Deadly Weapon.

The shooting is under investigation by the Fairfield Police Department.

Executed 0 SQL queries